Friday, January 23, 2009

Useful technique

As I read through chapter 5 to 8 this week, the brainstorming technique helps me not only in writing but also at my leadership interview! I didn’t make up my mind what should I say during the interview and was worry about unexpected questions. Until half hour before the interview, my brain was still blank and dull. And suddenly I remember the exercise we did in the class and Murray talks about brainstorming helps us “to discover what you already know” (Murray 62). I started to write down words on a piece of paper, things that changed me a lot, people who influence me, why am I attract to this leadership position, why do I think this position suits me, and what can I contribute to the campus as a leader. Although those words I wrote down looked quite random and disorganized, I was able to sell myself later in the interview with a clear idea and coherent thought, simply by those words I just wrote down.

I believe sometimes our brains just full of stuff that we just couldn’t find the right idea we need. Brainstorming helps me to spit the words out of my mind, and enable me reorganize my thoughts by looking at the words. “These surprises and connections remind you of what you know and make you aware of meanings you hadn’t seen before”(Murray 63).

3 comments:

  1. That's really cool. It's nice to know that all of these writing/research skills will actually pay off in real life. Hopefully we'll get more stories like these as the course goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you were able to use that in your interview. It is always best when you can find practical applications of what you have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that a lot of what you said can be beneficial to what i am going through a well. I appreciated that you used what you learned and applied it to your life

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.