I thought Professor Schut had a lot of good things to say. I tend be more of rebel writer, I don’t like to just follow boring rules. I hate reading most academic Journals because of how boring they are. However, I still think rules can be good things or as our good friend Captain Barossa says “guidelines”. I realize that there are times where rules are extremely important to writing. For example having a thesis statement is crucial to having any success in any type of academic work. I also realize that many of the boring academic journals are very important for learning and research despite their dryness. Thus, I do not want to discount rules or academic journals but rather understand that even if I don’t think they are important there is still a lot I can learn from them.
I also really liked Badke’s tips on research. I never realized you could search like that on Google. I also found the subject heading extremely useful. I have often wondered why I search and search and can never seem to get the right keywords to access the books I want. Its easy to forget how vast the English language is and how many synonyms can be found for one word.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think in most cases, rules are made so that we are able to understand/ communicate with each other. Depends on the purpose of writing, there are times to free write and time s to follow rules. Like what Kevin said in class, if our writing is to communicate with others, what’s the point to write something that no one could understand?
ReplyDelete