Thursday, January 8, 2009

Inaugural Post

This is the blog for our COMM 110 Section A at TWU. If you're a guest, you're welcome to poke around, but since this is focused on our course, I suspect you'll find it rather pointless.

For the students, if you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

1 comment:

  1. A Fresh Perspective on Writing

    After reading chapters 1-3 of “Write To Learn” by Donald M. Murray I was astonished; because I felt like he was reading my mind and expressing himself how I would in terms of writing. I know that may sound quirky at first, but many of the thoughts he described that run through the reader’s head before they write is what goes through mine. I could very much relate to and appreciate the way Murray explained how writing is something simple that we just make difficult. When I can’t think of anything extraordinarily intelligent to say, I stare at my computer screen and freak out. Then I wonder why I am in University if I can loathe and love the art of writing at the same time. I guess that is the beauty of writing, its something that challenges you and makes you want to conquer it. It is an adventure, and as Murray puts it, you have to write badly to write well. This kind of thinking is unique in itself. Failure is good- failure to produce an A+ paper is great, because then areas that require attention and improvement are revealed to you. In addition, when you look at the mistakes in your writing the grace of it all is that you can change it, re-arrange it, and see your point or sentence then flow through your paragraph instead of getting stuck on the first flight of stairs. Another great piece of advice from Murray was that there is a certain process to create effective writing. Writing is using your own voice, discovering how to explain new truths and not just borrowing them from others. I am ecstatic to hear that there is some sort of route that can help you produce a paper that you love and are satisfied with. At the end of chapter 3 I also see a challenge—which makes writing so exciting. The challenge is presented in the truth that Murray has developed a pattern that is proven to produce effective writing; however, every individual needs to understand their own process and tweak the one they are referring to, or are learning from. Every mind is uniquely different, and it is undeniable that one approach to writing will not work for all. Hence this is the reason why you write, you write to learn, you don’t learn to write.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.