Friday, January 16, 2009

Do as I say, not as I do...

There was a time when I absolutely despised the library. I actually avoided it like the plague. During my first four years at Trinity, I ventured into the horror of horrors, commonly known around here as the catacombs, a mere four times. How did I manage to write a paper without going to library? It is what Badke refers to as “regurgitation”. I used as many sources as I could from home (often not enough or not appropriate to the subject) and simply spit quotes onto a piece of paper. Then I used those quotes to support what I knew of the topic and…fini. I ended up with a lot of C-grade papers. Well, at least I didn’t fail.

I am now in my fifth year at Trinity and I have finally started to take responsibility for my writing. I have learned a very valuable and important lesson: Business professors aren’t as picky about your writing as communication professors. Entering into communications, I have had to relearn how to write a good paper. I am learning how to engage my research with the topic. Badke writes that we should be analytical so that we can “contribute something fresh and exciting to the topic” (p. 29). However, while I was beginning to engage with the topic, I was still trying to answer a million questions. Badke explains that to be analytical and to use your research wisely, you need to answer one research question (not two or three or a million). No wonder my papers were always scattered and confusing. I’m surprised my professors didn’t hate me!

I like Badke’s solution of finding one specific research question that narrows the topic down and helps you focus on that one question, rather than trying to include too much information in your paper. In my previous communication classes I have found that my writing has greatly improved because I have used my research to draw my own opinions, conclusions, or suggestions that others may not have thought of already. Simply put, using research wisely rather than regurgitating it makes for a more lively paper and a much better grade than a C. My one piece of advice for you all: learn it now, not in your fifth year!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like sound advice. I`m glad I`ve learned to use the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be hard for me to force myself to use the library. It's not even that I dislike libraries - I like some of them. I just really hate Trinity's. I don't know what it is, but I just do not like being in Trinity's library. That is my personal challenge to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's the depressing paint colors, the extremely small isles, and the lack of fresh flowing air. and maybe the fact that you can't talk. which is probably the hardest part for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing a too general, too much informational paper has always been my huge problem. I remember last semester my professor told me, “reading your paper was just like reading a textbook!” and I ended have to rewrite the whole thing. A painful experience, but I have to say I learn a lot from it. The following paper I can tell my improvement while I was writing it and my marks told me so too. What I need to learn right now is to learn how to ask a good question, narrow my ideas and start my paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learning how to develop a strong topic that you can work with is the key to writing a good paper and I am also just learning that now. Also I actually really like studying on the top floor of the library if you can get one of the seats on the right side windows facing the mountains, the views from there on a clear day are great for putting you in a paper writing mood. Otherwise the basement puts me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.