Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yoshi-

Murray has an interesting take on writing in chapters 5-8. He is right in saying that you need
to be creative in order to write. He also marvelously explains all the ways you can enter that
creative terrain of thought. My favorite one would have to be the free writing tool. I remember in high school my teachers always taught me to do the web, but I really thought the web was useless. After viewing Murray's example of the web I still thought that if I tried that way again, to organize my thoughts, it would be useless. I am glad I have redeemed clarity I had long forgotten, and I believe the clarity I receive from understanding what "processes" I like or do not like to use will help me put together a set way to write efficiently.

However, I do have to note two things that I would suggest improvement on Murray's part. First, the tone he uses in these chapters, when writing about his childhood experiences, is absolutely negative. I think writing can be used as a healing tool, but if its your job, I think you should learn how to get over your past and write on new things. Secondly, writing also requires structure. I love to be creative and I think it is something beautiful once you learn to trust your thoughts and instincts enough to put them on paper. Allowing yourself to look into the depths of who you are and trying to understand it by thinking out loud with a pen is a gift to be treasured.
However, when you get to the real world its not all about journaling or writing about your feelings. It may be your passion, so keep doing it. However, University requires that your whole brain be used. You are challenged to learn to write academically, and to take full responsibility for what you are penning. If you are only relying on Murray's advice to be creative, I don't think you will do very well. Part of the process in learning to write is learning how to structure your creative beauty that you bring to the writing process. My personal opinion, is that structure and creativity are equally required. You should learn about these methods through a balanced perspective so can you can better understand and picture the way you write.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.