Friday, January 16, 2009
Research
The idea of a research question came as an "ah ha" moment for me. I have gone through classes doing research without a true purpose other than to get the paper done. Now, by having a true purpose in mind and having more than just 2,000 words to complete, a question will make it so I am working towards a goal. For me, on of the harder things to do is always making my topic specific rather than a broad subject. This is where what Badke refers to as a "working knowledge" comes into play. Another "ah ha" moment so that now I will be able to have a better understanding instead of being so overwhelmed from the beginning. From getting a "working knowledge" the next and most intimidating step is all the library research. The first time I stepped in there this year I had no idea where to start. With everything looking the same and having what seemed like a whole other language or code I felt like there was no way I would ever be able to find what I was looking for. Now, by seeing I must look for books and journals with a broader topic and in them look for something more defined I don't think I will be nearly as intimidated, at least I hope not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh how I relate to that! I often do not have any idea, where to start, what to think, what to write? Ah!
ReplyDeleteThat me exactly just try to get the paper done.
ReplyDeletehaahah. OH MAN! so true. Now that i have realized that we need to have a working knowledge. Its so important! In my prior writing assignments I often find myself just "going for it", but seeing the importance of having a working knowledge to go off is very important. From now on will try to gain enough knowledge before i get down to writing.
ReplyDeletesometimes I know lots of things about the topic, but when I really start the essay,I totally lost my mind.
ReplyDelete