Thursday, January 15, 2009

Words abounding, rules breaking

My biggest problem with writing is trying to get myself to write to produce ideas and get them down on paper (or I guess it's a Word document now). I’m pretty much a perfectionist and I want things to come out right the first time. Of course, that doesn’t happen in real life. But I’m not a stranger to the backspace button and I find myself holding it down especially after I write something that isn’t the way I want it to be. (In a perfect world I am a pro at writing it perfect the first time around).

For me, the most useful chapter in the reading was chapter 3. Some of those “rules” that I learned in high school or just from growing up and having to write at various times for various reasons, were very much ingrained in my head. Unlearning those ideas, specifically #1, 5, 6, 7, 10, and 15, will probably free me from any hindrances I have had whenever I sat down to write a paper or even just write for fun. Throwing away the structured, logically thinking side of my brain and forgetting things like grammar and spelling and just might be the push I need to freely get words and ideas out of my head and onto paper. After that I can structure my writing into its place and produce something I am proud of.


And I took the some ideas from Murray as I wrote this. My mind was pretty wordless and idea-less so I wrote and forgot about commas, periods, and sentences at first and then I fixed it up in the end. It was quite frightening but I'm over it now. It will definately take practice and learning for me to feel comfortable with vomitting words out like that.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I definitely have trouble writing things that are filled with errors. If I have the wrong punctuation or spelling, it'll drive me insane - especially with the colorful underlining provided by spell check that just shouts out "Hey, you screwed up back here!"

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.