Friday, January 16, 2009

Where do I begin?

"You need an intense desire to do a brilliant project, not just an average one." (Badke, Pg 15)
I find this statement to be incredibly true. To have an average desire in writing a paper, or to write an average paper itself, would do nothing to society or the one writing the paper. It would seem as though many people, including myself, write meaningless papers. We spend hours writing a last minute paper. Instead of stressing and cramming, we could have efficiently used our time to imagine and produce a piece of art. We do not think this way. At the time we think that a paper is something to dread. (To be honest, at this time, I still dread papers)

I have fallen into the terrible pits of dark and gloomy library days. The experience was tramatic. I wrote a terrible paper. (I still have nightmares of that. Do you think there is something wrong with me?) Moving along, I found that the last minute hours I spent in the library were a complete waste of time. It was not the library's fault, however. It was my own, procrastinating, easily distracted mind.

Badke's book is actually opening my eyes to things I didn't pay attention to before. I never really thought about "false research". I thought I knew how to write; I thought I knew how to research; I thought things I now beleive to be false; and it is all a fallacy. Well, except for the last thought.

In class, and in chapter one of Professor Badke's book, he spoke of some history relating to information and writing. He lectured on how before books, or even writing, the people who had the best memory were the keepers of knowledge. They were a group of few people, and they dominated the world of information.

All this information is very interesting. It is funny how we are learning information on information.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is a good point that no amount of reasearch can overcome procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a little bit about those dark and gloomy papers trying to save a paper that was dead to start with. It is very true in my experience that spending your time efficiently is the key. Some of my worst papers I spent great amounts of time on, while some of my best I spent less, but more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you pointed out the history about how people who had the best memory were the keepers of knowledge, and how they dominated the world of information. I felt ashamed that although we can get information so easily, and yet few of us have great “working knowledge.” Sometimes I felt just because there are so much information out there waiting for us, we then lost the enthusiasm for knowledge.
    Just like what Badke said, only “intense desire” could do a brilliant project. I guess only if we write our paper with passion (I know it sounds odd), we will never impress our readers nor present a brilliant paper. How to find enthusiasm? I am yet seeking it…

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.