I haven’t found passion in writing. Perhaps it is because I feel that I can’t communicate what I want in writing. If you can’t write, Murray says, take a nap (p. 50). What a novel concept. I would love to be able to do that, although I do not quite understand how taking a nap will help me write. There are two reasons for this. First, I can’t take naps. I simply cannot fall asleep during the day unless I have not slept in three days. Second, the hour(s) before I fall asleep is when my mind races the most. This is not a good thing though, as Murray might say. This is because my mind goes over so many things at once; I actually get confused sometimes. I have trouble isolating one thing and focusing on it. So while Murray dreams his drafts and reads pages in his sleep, I think of so many things that I forget them all. And to be honest, I don’t think I ever will dream of writing.
I do like that Murray suggests to be inspired by the things around us. I am inspired by the little things around me, but I do not translate them into writing. The world around me inspires me in other ways. I find it hard to focus on words when I want to focus on art. How can I translate this passion of the world around me into words? I’m still not sure. I do not think it is as easy as Murray says it is though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I too was skeptical of Murray's "sleep writing". I wish I had the mutant power to write rough drafts of essays in my dreams.
ReplyDeleteAs Murray says in the book, these are things that work for him that may not necessarily work for everyone - at least, he should have said that - I really can't remember. Just don't feel like every strategy he provides needs to work for you. You'll find your our way of getting your ideas out in due time. The passion will come.
I hope.
I really enjoyed your post. I don't dream of writing either (if I do it is usually a nightmare anyways). It is true that what Murray is suggesting is not universal rules, but more like suggestions.
ReplyDeleteGood points... I would suggest the use of Tylenol or something if you felt like taking Murray's advice to take a nap. I don't dream of writing either. I don't know if that is something only writer's do or what, but I imagine you would really have to be overjoyed on what you were planning to write about. Also, I think passion is possible, so don't give up. Maybe you just need a good topic to inspire you. Or maybe you just need a completely different style of writing to challenge you!
ReplyDeleteI could maybe understand the dream thing if it was a song, a poem, or a story that was being written... but a research essay? Come on, that's just ridiculous.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIf you want to get something done you have to just do it. If it is about creativity, it will come to you. Don't sleep, appreciate. Go out and do something inspiring. Yes, Andrew, for a research essay...sleeping is not the best idea. For an essay oor research paper, I think it's a matter of perseverance, whether or not you want to write it. And it is true, that some people find inspiration from sleep; however,if you don't remember your dreams, you have nothing to go off of. It's a risky idea. A nap is usually a good idea when you need energy, a little boost to fulfill your mind juice...but not a great way to moved along with work.
ReplyDeleteFor me, my dreams are sometimes about the thoughts I had when I was falling asleep. So perhaps if we remember our dreams it can be an inspiration or put everything together for our essay? Seems a little far fetched though.
ReplyDelete