Saturday, January 10, 2009

"A Pig From a Sausage"

What a coincidence! Finding myself struggling to find the words to write, I often become frustrated with the "nothing to write" mentality. On the other hand, I also find myself overwhelmed with too many thoughts all at once. Pretty much, a balance is never created. Ups and downs, and all arounds, writing is sometimes the last thing I want to do.

Murray writes about a method that I commonly use to write my lyrics (to my music). Basically, he states that a clear mind is impossible. I agree with this. We always have something "floating" around in our juicy brains (yum). When I write a lyric, I often close my eyes and block out everything around me. Eventually something that has "pissed" me off or taunted my brain will jump out of nowhere and start flailing around with pots and pans. Slightly different than what Murray has to say but the same basic idea. I have never read any of his books before. I find his words refreshing and relatable, as well as, encouraging (so far).

Isn't it awesome, well not necessarily awesome, that Murray flunked out of highschool? It is a great motivator. If Murray can do it, so can I. This "straight-line thinking" he speaks of intrigues me. He discusses how we are all taught that we must go to highschool and learn things a certain way. Then, he states that artists do not necessarily work that way (Murray, you rock!). It is so true that people all learn and aproach things differently. (Like my lack of mathematical skills)

I love the name Miss Leavitt. At first, when I read that name, I thought to myself, "Leave it alone!" Maybe it is a sign to leave the book alone (Just kidding). Then I thought of "Sweeney Todd", the musical and movie that had a character named Mrs. Lovett. I am sure that Murray's teacher was nothing like the character of this movie, at least I hope not (Here I go rambling).

Unlearning to write? Heavens to Betsy, I am almost in shock. This is going to be a brain makeover. If I read anymore of this, my head will explode. Luckily, I have learned already, that failure is an opportunity to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.