Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mastering the Search Engine

I found it extremely helpful this week in class when Badke went through the various search engine tools that are available to us. Of course we are all familiar with Google and I personally remember the days of Ask Jeeves, but I can personally account for times I was trying to do a research assignment and I just could not find what I wanted through my key words searches in Google.
Badke introduced us to all the various searches that are available from Trinity such as Refworks and EBSCO Host. These are incredible tools available to us because we go to the school. It was helpful to learn how to correctly use key words and how to work other forms of searches that I never knew existed. Now it will be much easier to get good information and references because I now know how to work the system better.
Badke also went through and showed us various other sites that I have never heard of. These were interesting because they all incorporated a different unique take on search engines. The one that showed a circle map of all the possible search results was pretty smart because it visualized the results in something that was easy to flip through and pick out the best results for your search.
Now that I know how to use search engines better I shouldn’t have as much trouble finding my information for my research assignments. Also, the Google Scholar search will be something that I will definitely utilize for now on.

1 comment:

  1. It really is a great opportunity to be able to use all of TWU's databases... and learn how to search on something other than google!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.