Friday, January 30, 2009

Googly

Generally I thought the reading had some helpful hints. What I particularly liked about the this week’s lesson is the Boolean searches that you can do on Google. I’ve been stuck on doing simple keyword or phrase searches most of my school life. However, with the advanced searches I can now get much more specific to my topic. However, while I like Google I do not like Google Books or Google scholar. Google books is great for finding books, however actually being able to read them is the problem. Anybody who has tried to read large portions of book at a time on Google books knows what I’m talking about. It is extremely hard on the eyes, thus I would agree with Dr. Schut that it is good for checking a book out but not actually for reading them.

I also find Google scholar a pain to be honest with you. When I have searched it for information usually all I get are abstracts of books, journals which you need money to read, and worst of all Citations which tease you with good titles to articles you can never find. If I am searching for journal articles I find Ebsco Much more Helpful.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Goggle can be a hassle, but I do find things I need on it as well. I do think that now that we have learned how to configure defined searches on Google we will be able to make better searches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree about google scholar. I had a lot of trouble when I tried to use it. Why would anyone just want the citation anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that most of Google products show tons of potential and even though Google books isn't extremely useful now do to the lack of content, it has major potential. Remember, Itunes launched their video portion of the store with five tv shows in only one country, and the idea was cool but it wasnt very useful do to the lack of content. Now they have such a big video portion of the store that their movie rentals are becoming a huge competition problem to blockbuster.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.