Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Writing in a new way

After reading the first three chapter, I was especially inspired by two ideas of Murray. One is " making a list" before writing. The other one is Murray's new perspectives about those old writing rules.
Firstly, I think "making a list" before writing is very practical. Like a shopping list, certain things there could always remind me to consider something else related. Moreover, our memory is dynamic. It's changing in every second. Sometimes we could remember six aspects of the things; however, next second we could only remember five of them. Therefore, writing down what we could possibly remember right now is very smart. As Murray said, "I list fragments, words and images that come to mind".
Secondly, I was very impressed by how Murray break the old rules of writing. Actually, the eleven rules that Murray talked about are very common in writing class, no matter what the language is or how old is the teacher. They are like traditions of writing and have to be addressed by almost every writing teacher. Personally, I still want to keep these rules, for me most of them are useful. However, I like how Murray define them in a new way. Murray's creative perspective of writing rules inspired me that rules are good helper for writers, but a good writer could be never controlled by rules. They are not "writing law", so why not use the freedom to write!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that making lists before writing is important, although, honestly i don't think I ever do. If I took the time to make a list in the first place my thoughts would probably be better organized. So perhaps for my next writing assignment i will write a list before getting started on the core writing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.