When I am assigned a paper I will usually procrastinate until the week before. Then I will do all my research using the library. The library is not just a great place to get info, it`s also a great place to do work. The atmosphere of the library is very conducive to reading and writing. My dorm common room or lounges have other people which I find easy to ignore until they laugh, then I feel very compelled to get into the conversation. My own room is a little bit quieter but, because it is the place where I always sleep, I get sleepy when I spend too many consecutive hours jailed within.
After I finish the research I let it sit in my brain for a week because I heard that you will process it subconsciously until you get it out onto paper. This will result in a much better paper.
I wrote two or three large thesis papers in high school and was taught that a thesis is an answer to a thesis question which is the same as the research question Badke demands. Getting a narrow question is something I have to work on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
(I think we should have a library party, I mean study in the library soon) This would be so helpful to work at it now instead of later.
ReplyDeleteThat narrow, challenging, interesting, deep, and intelligent question is probably the hardest part of your research paper. I think it is the key to a good paper though and that is why many people probably find it as the most frustrating aspect in writing. I know I do too so, take courage you will find a way to come to your thesis questions easier with practice and trying new methods. If you check out the Little Brown Handbook (LBH) section 1e, it gives you different ideas to get to your research question.
ReplyDeleteSO TRUE! Oh man! its so easy to get distracted. I find that if i start my paper a week before, and make the effort to try to get it done, i have a much better chance getting it done. and doing a good job.
ReplyDeleteFor me the quietness of the library creeps me out. Going in there and being able hear myself breathe is distracting as weird as that may sound and therefore I cannot get anything done.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you. When I am doing my reseach at home, I play computer games, eat something, watch TV,and any kind noise can affect my schedule.
ReplyDeleteIt is a good way to write a research at library becuase there has no food,TV,and computer games. ^^