“If you prepare yourself for yourself for journal database frustration, you’re less likely to mutter to yourself when it happens” (Badke, 85). Okay, I must confess, I am one of those people that is constantly frustrated by technology; and yes, the muttering comes out. Well, that may be an understatement…there’s more volume and physical contact. Needless to say, I don’t have much patience when it comes to computers.
Researching requires a lot of patience, according to Badke. He admits that we will have unpleasant encounters while searching for journals, or, in general, researching. He suggests that we be consciously aware of the “traffic jams” we will come upon when researching.
The one thing I want to know is “how?”. I don’t have much patience to begin with, and even when I am expecting a traffic jam, I am still very frustrated. My fuse is short. Are there any other ways of avoiding frustration? Or do I just accept that it is part of the researching world and I should pray that God grants me more patience?
This ties in nicely what Badke says later on in the chapter to “uniquely identify your topic”. This is probably where many of us struggle. How do you uniquely identify a topic that you don’t know much about? Right, the one-minute summary. Can’t forget about that! By finding ways and words to uniquely identify my topic, I can hopefully eliminate some of the frustration that edges its way over to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If the only thing that frustrated you is technology then it should be easy to deal with after we learned the strategies on research. But if it is research itself that frustrated you, that would be a bigger problem. We should really try to find the passion in the topic we are researching. It's really hard to finish a paper without "the want" of finding an answer.
ReplyDeleteI don't think frustration with technology ever goes away. My brother who is a computer programmer still gets frustrated with his computer. Although, his problems are a little more advanced then mine (:
ReplyDeleteI think technology should be taken upon as a tool to do what we need to do, it should'nt be the focus of our assignment. It is best to remember that it is your topic and your passion for your essay that will turn out a good essay. Then, maby even with a few hickups, the technology will help you to achieve your finished essay.
ReplyDeleteIt is frustrating but I think the only way you get better at this is by trying new ways to search things. Eventually you will learn how to efficiently get to the information you need... and uniquely identify your topic. This is kind of vague... but its what I know so far.
ReplyDelete