Friday, January 30, 2009

During this class I am becoming more aware of the need to understand the internet and its usefulness. I have often been frustrated using the internet and journal databases in order to find certain books for a school project. In chapter 6 i am able to understand more of how the internet works. I found it interesting to read all about the different abbreviations. for example,URL I never knew that it stood for Uniform Resource Locator.

In class i was pleased that we learned about all these different search engines that we could use. In chapter 6 it goes into detail about Goggle Scholar. It is a journal devoted to scholary literature- books, journals, articles, conference proceeding and academic web sites. I think now that I know what each engine does, I will be able to use each engine to its full advantage.

For each search engine it is important to use certain keywords. If you know what keywords to use, you will be able to obtain a more specific search. Some cites will rank the data ( that is  they assign probability percentages to tell you how likely it is that the search engine gave you what you asked for) THIS CAN BE VERY HELPFUL!

One helpful technique that goggle offers is the Boolean searches.

I think the best quote for the internet was said in the beginning of chapter six." The internet is wonderful and frustrating, helpful and potentially dangerous, beneficial and a waste of time. I think that this pretty much summarizes what most people think the internet is like. I think that it can be very helpful in my schooling, but also a waste of time because of Facebook. Overall I think that it is very useful, you just need to learn how to use it effectively.

3 comments:

  1. Facebook is not a waste of time. You take that back Shylo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook isn't necessarily a waste of time but a huge distraction when it comes to research. Maybe Badke should add a chapter on self-control: How to avoid mindless websites when you need to get research done.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.