It is easy for a person to give up or be overwhelmed when confronted with a large blank sheet of paper. I think every student has experienced the sinking sensation or a sense of dread as he or she looks from the blank sheet of paper too the large two or three thousand word assignment staring them down. When one is confronted with a challenge like this often the first reaction of a student is to rack ones brain, students try to make themselves think so hard that they often end up defeating themselves. Because if words don’t comes right away and students soon despair and turn to facebook or some other distraction. In Chapter one Donald tells the reader not to think to hard. He tells the reader to instead let his mind wander a bit let ideas or inspiration come to him. Donald tells the reader to have patience, he stresses the fact that writing is not magic, ideas don’t suddenly come to you.
I really enjoyed the second chapter about unlearning rules. I have often been taught that writing is merely formulaic. However, I think we should be careful not to get carried away with forgetting the rules. Rules of writing are there for a good reasons, I think just like Donald pointed out, they cannot be absolute. These rules can be used as guidelines but not absolute rules. As a writer I can see how treating the rules of writing more like guidelines can help free the me and help me be more creative
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, I have the same problem like what your said. When I am have no idea about what should I write, I just give up. to read news, to watch movies, or to talk to someone. At the saome time, there is a voice from my heart always saids, no worry, you have another day to finish your work. Murray told us we have not to think too hard, but I think we have to always focus on our topic.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with the fact that someone can become carried away with not being so formulaic. There is a fine line to unique and then and unreadable mess.
ReplyDelete