In Research Strategies chapter 8, Badke gives some extremely helpful advice on note taking. Note taking is something I have never done well and often avoided, up until this past year. Recently I realized the value of taking notes so that when I read material I stay focused and can take away the main and important points. Since I have started to become a better note taker, I have quickly seen that I have improved on reading material and remembering it.
Badke lists and explains several approaches to note taking. The first one is the photo copier. This meathod is definitely not for me, I think it is too much work for what its worth. The notebook computer whiz is a very interesting take on note taking. He explains how you can use one of those electronic pens to take notes and to copy lines straight our of your material. I have never tried this but it sounds like a great idea that could work for me. He then goes through the most common note taking types, the quoter, summarizer, and the paraphraser. I am definitely a summarizer because I read a page of material and I right down the main point in my own words usually summarizing much of what is going on in the chapter.
This section of the chapter helped me a lot because it forced me to consider which type of note taker I am and evaluate if it is working for me. If you are not a good note taker, I suggest that you figure out how to become one because I learned that it is very important to do so.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never took notes either until last semester. Then it was required for my English research project. I started out complaining about it and then realized its worth.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in ESLI, I felt take notes was really boring thing and it was nothing helps. Later on, my teachers told me, talking notes is not only help students memorize things on the class, it helps students self-study.
ReplyDeleteThen I take nots on the class hleps me memorize knowledge, after class, notes helps me review what teacher said. It is really helps.