I thought Murray had a lot of good things to say when it came to editing papers. Personally I find this to be one of the hardest things to when writing a paper. I liked what Murray said about no just doing the nitpicky details of grammar in editing but rather going to the big picture first. I find it much more helpful to start out with the big picture and then move to the smaller more picky details. This helps me as a writer to not get so caught up in Grammar, instead I can look at the big picture and make changes structurally that will make the paper much better.
I also enjoyed the section on note taking. Having done research paper I can probably say I have made most of the mistakes Dr. Schut mentioned. For me I find the most helpful way to do research is to make a word document, and keep my thoughts and page numbers in the file as I read the book. I especially find this helpful if I want to take down interesting quotes. Overall its effective for me because it cannot get lost. I also like the idea of using sticky books to mark the important places in the book. However, I would still prefer
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank goodness for spell check! I agree that looking at the bigger picture first and then going back to your grammar is the best way to go! So much time is saved when you do things in the right order!
ReplyDeleteI always have trouble to look at the bigger concept when I take notes and instead I became so picky about the details. Like Dr. Schut mentioned in class, I ended up taking paragraph after paragraph of notes, which most of them are absolutely useless. I guess the best way to overcome this problem would be figure out what am I looking for first and learn some summary skills.
ReplyDeleteI am with Andrea and the thank goodness for spell check! With that said I can praise it but also want to throw those little bumpy lines out the window, so now I say, thank goodness for knowing how to not check it until the end! I really enjoyed all the new Microsoft Word setting and tricks.
ReplyDeleteYep! Im on the same page! I focus more on the overall picture, rather than focusing on the small (nit- picky) things. I am very grateful for spell, and grammar check! Thank the Lord!
ReplyDelete