First of all, I was highly impressed by Badke's words in class. He sated that search engine was not able to know your mind. They just show you the texts that include the words you typed in the search box. His words waked me up. I used to have weakness on determining search words. I used to chose very obvious terms, like the subject or object of my topic or thesis. And I know this is not an efficient way. So, in order to avoid the wide and vague search results. I prefer to use advanced search. However, through reading 5.1.1 Making the Catalog Work for You, I learned I should critically think about my research question, then use some terms that are very related to my topic, instead of the topic itself. Also, I should think about some terms that can reflect my topic as well. I am practicing the new idea of keywords searching in my assignments now. It is not easy, but I think I will get it with Professor's help.
Secondly, I found a new thing in chapter 6, hidden Internet. I am very interested in this section. I've never noticed those "hidden Internet". In other words, I might once searched them, but I gave up because they require username and password, or some sort of payment. It might be not necessarily to look at those hidden Internet, but I think it's good to know them.
Lastly, I think I have a controversy with the standard of evaluating information. I mainly agree that it is very important to evaluate the authors' credibility, education background, the organization's credibility and so on. When I was taking ENGL 101, I've learned this from Professor Melinda. Now the same idea got addressed by Professor William. I can see this is really a serious part in research. However, I personally think not only scholars or high educated people have great and correct perspectives. Sometimes, an fantastic idea or a new practical theory comes from a normal person. And I am very enjoyed to see other people's perspective on some particular issue or topic. They always inspire me a lot and make my thoughts rich.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.