Murray here again talks about how our ideas would come as we write. “When I start writing, the pictures I did not know my brain had taken in come to mind” (Murray 133). I think in some degrees what he says is true. For me the best way to brainstorm is to write. Writing any random thoughts about the topic and a lot of time it takes pages to get ideas that would later put on my paper. Although it takes a lot of time on brainstorm stage, this step gets me a fuller engagement on my writing and a sometimes I do find ideas I would probably never thought of if I didn’t have my free writing.
His idea about the writer’s eye is interestingly similar to what I learned from my theater class. The actor’s eye. As actors we try to find relationships, scenes before and scene after in order to have fully engagement with the scene and the character. And the same concept for writers, being aware of specifics, patterns, and past and future will make its writing alive. Following that I think not only readers will enjoy the writing, writer will as well enjoy the process of exploration.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree! I totally just have to go for it when i write! I find that if I just go for it I am able to get my ideas out on the page. I find that that once I just get everything out on that page I am then able to go back and correct and critique my ideas.
ReplyDeletewell you see I disagree
ReplyDeletewriting does not help me formulate ideas rather it tends to confuse them more then anything.
I need to know exactly what I'm going to say before I start writing. Usually I find the best way to start my papers is by just discussing my topic with someone or even just saying it aloud to myself.