Saturday, February 14, 2009

Grammar...........

I'm not sure what is up with this. I posted yesterday, but today I can't find it so I'm posting again. Sorry if it ends up being a duplication.


A grammar rule that befuddles rather than clarifies is not a rule at all. This is what Patricia O’Connor states in the preface to her book Woe is I. Grammar has never been my strength. The grammar rules all seem so much like useless details. Does it really matter where the comma goes? After all, what is really important are the ideas that I am trying to present rather then if I got all my t’s crossed and i’s dotted.

Grammar, however, is important. Ideas alone are rather worthless unless you can find a way to communicate them. This involves speaking or writing and both of those require grammar. Ignoring grammar will cause people to be unsure of what you are saying and therefore unsure of your idea. Many ideas have failed to be recognized beneath the words used to communicate the idea.

However, I still struggle with grammar. The rules do not tend to appear logical or important to me. Woe is I has helped with this. Rather then just stating the rule and expecting me to follow it, Woe is I works through why this rule is important and how to remember the rule. I find this quite helpful and hope to improve on my grammar in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.