Thursday, February 12, 2009

Good readers

In Murray’s Writers Help Writers chapter reminds me the experiences in writing center. A place that could bring both joy and disaster depend on the situation and the reader you work with. For sure there are times when readers point out something I didn’t think of and makes me see the paper in different; or times their positive comments about my paper gives me the confident about my ability of writing. Those times are wonderful. But there are also times when the readers try to make my paper into theirs without asking me what I was trying to say and that really frustrate and confuse me a lot. I felt that I was suppose getting help to express my ideas more fluently but it ended up just having a grammar checking section and sometimes even left with confusion.

I agree with Murray about reader should not take over others’ draft, and revision isn’t just the matter of spelling and grammar checking. A good test reader should help us to develop our strengths of the draft and make us “eager to write” (200-201).It didn’t happen a lot of times in writing center, but it does happen sometimes. And I think the best way to avoid this problem is giving my main idea at the beginning so they will have a basic idea about what I want to say on the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.