Friday, February 20, 2009

Cultural criticism?

It is my first time learning how to write a cultural critique. To be honest I’m still not quite sure about the differences between cultural critiques, research paper and personal essay. They do sure some writing element /patterns right? Does that mean the only difference between the three is the engagement of our culture? Because as far as I noticed cultural critiques have a lot of similarities with personal essay and research paper, such as finding evidence to support our ideas, or provide different points of view and discuss why we think they are wrong.

I will just write down some points that I learned from class and see maybe some of you can help me figure this out-what is a cultural critique anyways?

-Don’t just talk about ideas or concepts. Critique is not just a review. Explain how does it relate to/affect our culture?
-Don’t just retell other people’s points of views. Provide ideas and explain why it is important.

And I’m having trouble to think of a topic…I’m sure there’re lots of things we could write about our culture and mess media. But getting A topic is hard (at least for me). Any suggestion?

1 comment:

  1. I agree, coming up with a topic for a cultural critique is hard because there are so many options. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.