Friday, February 20, 2009

Grammar Is Kool

I really like learning about grammar. The only reason why I enjoy it is because I know its beneficial to my writing. I usually don't pay attention to it so I am glad that this book, "Woe Is I" is actually an enjoyable read. Even a simple rule like learning what "they're" stands for is helpful. I realize that I probably learnt these things in grade school- but I have to admit I have forgotten a lot of these rules. When I am writing I tend to think what I always do, or how I always spell this word must be right because, I have simply done it this way for so long. Basically, information like "they're"- stands for "they are" is intriguing to me. When I know the reason and rules behind using the grammar that I do its helpful because then I can logically figure out what is correct and what is faulty language. 

Another cool trick that I have come across while reading this book is a rule with the 's. Of course I did my presentation on it, so I could say a lot. However, one trick I now use is, whenever I write it's- I have to make sure I can say it is in the sentence. If I can not then its wrong- or it is wrong.  I think there is a lot more I can learn from this book but, its just funny that we are still learning grammar in College. I would think I would be a pro at it now- but I am not. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm always afraid of grammar and so glad that we actually have a chance to take a look at some details. Now hrough "Woe is I" and presentations in class, I hope I could be able to figure out some of the tricky rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy Woe is I rather then my English lessons I got in grade school. It is a much more enjoyable read and it seems to make more sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a certain joy that you get out of figuring out how certain grammar rules work and applying them to your writing. Don't feel bad about now knowing all the ins-and-outs of grammar. We like to think that at this age, we know everything there is to know, but we all have little things that we struggle with, grammatically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you about the book - I never thought a grammar book could be so interesting! I have always hated grammar, and English classes were the bain of my existence in high school (and university!). Although, I have no idea what Andrew is talking about when he says "There is a certain joy that you get out of figuring out how certain grammar rules work and applying them to your writing."
    I won't deny that "Woe is Me" attempts, through humor and stories, to get us to correct our grammar, but I still hate it, no matter how funny the book is. I feel that every teacher or person has a different idea about grammar and I always get stuff marked wrong when they are right in another teachers class. Why does everyone have different ways of grammar?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about citations. When I was at Mount Royal College, I think I was taught 3 different MLA formats. That's off topic.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.