Friday, February 13, 2009

The draft

Murray writes that, "writing is thinking"(172). This makes sense, you have ideas and you respond by allocating them from your mind onto your page. What makes me stumble a bit is what exactly you should do once you put your ideas down. Or more specifically, how do you compose a draft you can actually write on? I understand you need all the necessary components such as, the introduction, thesis statement, point 1,2,&3, and conclusion. Great- you write these down in an orderly fashion that suites your writing style. Now what do you do?

I agree with Murray, when I am composing my "discovery draft"... "I want to know what I am going to say and how I am going to say it[,]I want neatness, order, correctness" (172). This part of the writing process is most frustrating to me because, its such a huge task. Everything on that one page is what you are going to expand on for the next 8-10 pages. So what if your outline is a drag? You need to re-draft. Ugh, I find this part so hard because, I don't know everything I am going to say for my entire paper. I guess I am stuck on the question, what do you do when your outline stinks? I don't like to re-draft because, I think its too long and painful to come up with better ideas. 

1 comment:

  1. In regards to the Intro-Point 1,2, 3- Conclusion set up, I am wanting to branch out. It has helped me in the past when I am done with my outline so I can just assign a main point to a paragraph. The formulaic though is also, what it is called, formulaic. It is getting to the point that even when I am writing about something I enjoy I get bored. Hopefully I can learn to be more creative and take chances when doing this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.