She looks like any average 16-year old captivated by the punk rock style that has recently swept through her high school. She has short black hair and wears black eyeliner and unique clothes. Her voice is caring and her laughter is contagious. What makes her above average, though, is her huge heart. The name Nina Camilli may have many I’s in it, but the last thing on her mind is herself. She is an active member of Watson Lake Secondary School’s social justice club—a club that gains attention and popularity in a small community of about 1500 people. While the concept of social justice clubs aren’t anything new, the establishment of it in this particularly plain and virtually spiritless school seems almost revolutionary.
But the spirit is growing. The members of the social justice club have been busy with a project to raise money for a well in Kenya. “It makes me feel like the smallest amount of people can change someone else’s life or change something for the better,” Nina says. She hopes that the interest will only grow throughout the small school of about 50 students. The excitement always grows.
These feelings of excitement among the in the club are collective. “We all get very excited when we make money to go towards the well in Kenya,” Nina says with a smile. “Or even when we get a great idea to raise money for things.” Recently the social justice club raised over $1000 from a community sushi dinner.
Global awareness is something on Nina’s mind and she is very enthusiastic about making others conscious of the big world. “Not very many of us are thinking about global issues, I don't think this whole global issue thing is as significant as it should be in our lives.” Nina believes teenagers around the world should care about our Earth. “We are the next generation and we should care about the world because there is only one.” Her advice proves wise for her age.
Many 16-year olds are involved in different things in high school. “This is by far one of the best clubs I have ever been in!” Nina says. The excitement in her voice can’t hide the fact that helping the world is a teen trend that should become the next “in” thing to do.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I enjoyed the flow of your profile and I felt like I got to know Nina a bit.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I would suggest it to look at your last paragraph. It kind of felt like it ended a bit abruptly.
You did a good job on telling what makes Nina unique, and good uses on inserting quotations.
ReplyDeleteI notice you might try to use the word "average" to compare the finding of her uniqueness at the begining, but the word average doesn't look very attractive to me. I think it would be better if you could give a more attractive hook to grab reader's attention.
Thanks guys!
ReplyDelete